- Meet Ted
- Media Galleries
- Contact Me
- Sign up for my newsletter
Sen. Ted W. Lieu leads Senate adjournment in memory of Harbor City Marine killed in Afghanistan
April 16, 2012
The following is a transcript of Sen. Ted W. Lieu's remarks when leading California Senate April 16, 2012 adjourning in memory of Cpl. Roberto Cazarez:
Mr. Pro Tem, members;
• I rise to Adjourn in Memory today for my constituent, Marine Corporal Robert Cazarez who was laid to rest last Saturday after losing his life on March 30th during a combat operation in Afghanistan. He was 24.
• Robert was a 2006 graduate of Narbonne High School in Harbor City where he was a proud member of the baseball team.
• He first enlisted in the Marine Corps just weeks after graduating from high school in July of 2006.
• He began serving as a small-arms repair technician but made a conscious decision to insert himself into the line of fire and re-enlisted into the infantry field.
• He trained to serve as a light armored vehicle crewman and became the driver of his commander’s light armored vehicle in the 1st Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion, 1st Marine Division.
• He also volunteered to serve on foot patrols and was responsible for carrying heavy machinery.
• Robert lost his life in a combat operation in the Helmand province.
• He is survived by his wife, Sonia.
• Robert’s decorations include the Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal, Sea Service Deployment Ribbon, Afghanistan Campaign Medal, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal, National Defense Service medal and the Navy Meritorious Unit Commendation.
• Thank you for your service, Roberto.