- Meet Ted
- Media Galleries
- Contact Me
- Sign up for my newsletter
Sen. Ted W. Lieu leads Senate in adjourning in memory of Dr. H. Michael Weitzman
April 19, 2012
Mr. Pro Tem, members;
• I rise to Adjourn in Memory today for Dr. H. Michael Weitzman, a longtime San Pedro Optometrist who passed away Monday, April 16th. He was 82.
• Dr. Weitzman always took time to catch up with his patients. It is said that when it came to scheduling appointments, an hour was not enough time. He also saw many patients at no charge.
• He was a spiritual person. Generous, caring and kind were words that friends often used to describe Dr. Weitzman. He was very compassionate and believed strongly in helping those in need. It was sacred to him. He did whatever he could to make life better for people.
• Year after year, he raised funds and awareness for many local non-profit organizations.
• He was a past president and member of the San Pedro Lions Club for more than 40 years, an active member of the San Pedro Chamber of Commerce and a longtime supporter of Toberman Neighborhood Center.
• He was involved with the Optometric Association, Lions Club Vision Program and with the California Vision Foundation, which provides free eye care for the needy.
• He served our country as a line officer in the United States Navy.
• He is survived by his wife Phyllis, two sons, Gregg and Dan; a
daughter, Dr. Debra Gierut; and seven grandchildren.
• Dr. Weitzman will be greatly missed. But his legacy of compassion and community service will live on.